Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My wife became ill, I was her carer, she has passed away,

My wife became ill, I was her carer, she has passed away, she was given garden tokens as presents which she could not use. They are now out of date and the Horticultrial Trades Association will not reinstate them. Please will you help me.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Midsussex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I phoned them and was told they could not be reinstated.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My wife became ill round about 2015 and died in February 2019. I have moved since then, and looking through her effects found the tokens.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

When did the tokens expire?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
31/12/2017

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Hi there, as discussed, if the tokens had an expiry date attached to them, the trader would not be obliged to accept them now because technically they have expired and are no longer valid for use. They would have been purchased and given to her on the condition that they are to be used within their period of validity. Once that has expired, they can only be accepted with the trader’s consent, if they choose to use their discretion to extend their expiry date. However, they are not in any way legally obliged to do so and therefore if they refuse, you do not have any legal grounds to challenge that and force them to accept the tokens after their expiry.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.