How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeremyT1020 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 477
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
JeremyT1020 is online now

After organising a separation agreement and paying off my

This answer was rated:

After organising a separation agreement and paying off my abusive ex-partner I have found out that she has been liaising with our local social services for last 11 years. She admits to mental health issues but has blamed them on me and has made false allegations of domestic abuse throughout our relationship.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Nothing as yet - found information out last Thursday
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce and separation so I'd be happy to offer some guidance. First and foremost, are there (or have there been) any criminal proceedings against you? Any children involved? Thanks, J
For the record, I cannot offer a telephone call at this time.
If you do need to speak to somebody urgently, please let me know and I will opt out and let another expert call you.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We co-parent a 13yr old boy - there have been no criminal proceeding
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Are you not available on the phone?
I said in my message earlier I could not take a phone call. I'll opt out if you need to speak to somebody. I can only message at the moment.
Do you think your ex partner is trying to prevent your son from seeing you?
JeremyT1020 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No we've agreed co-parenting and my son would not want to live with her full-time
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I really need to know if there's any recourse about correcting the social services closed file - I suspect this will impact on me in future if I chose a charity role for example
You could try a freedom of information request to get the information and see what they hold on you but I suspect they would withhold it for "protection of the public" reasons. If the charity did a basic DBS check, they are looking specifically at any convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings you may have received.I know in some instances, the DBS run checks against the adult and children’s barred list too, depending on the role of an individual or the job for which they are applying.In a nutshell, you'd have to raise a complaint through the Social Services complaints procedure if you thought that the info they held on you was inaccurate. The problem is also complex if the data in question records an opinion. Opinions are, by nature, subjective. If the record is clear that the data is an opinion and, where appropriate, whose opinion it is, it could be difficult for you to maintain it is inaccurate.If Social Services still refused to correct it, you might have to look at judicially reviewing the decision which could take 18-24 months and potentially cost a lot of money.

Hello again.  I note that you didn't respond so I trust you were happy with my answer.  If you need any further guidance, please let me know.  Otherwise, I wish you the very best of luck resolving this matter.  Kind regards, J

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your input - Toby

My pleasure.  Good luck.  J