How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3443
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My landlord sent me the draft lease with the six months

This answer was rated:

My landlord sent me the draft lease with the six months duration of staying but the wrong rent amount on it, so he told me he was going to change it, but he changed the amount and the staying duration to 12month without letting me know it was my fault because I didn't read when I sign it. But my roommate was the witness when he said that the room is for six months. After 11 months of living in the apartment, I am moving out, but he's not returning my deposit. What should I do about it?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Glasgow, UK
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I left the flat nicely I didn't do any damage to it. I was aware that if I did something, I would not get, my deposit back. And he's a private owner other parties are not involved just he and me
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no I don't think so

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Thank you for the question.  I am sorry to hear about this, however it should be a simple fix.  First things first, your deposit should have been registered with the government deposit scheme and you should have received and email from them confirming this.  If he has not done this, then you can inform him that should you report him he will be fined a minimum, of 3 months rent for not doing this within the correct time period.   If the deposit was registered and he is not returning it, you will have to take this up with the deposit agency, they have an arbitration service who will ask the landlord to support this case that he is entitled to keep the deposit, if he cannot show this then they will award it back to you (or at least some).  If he has not registered your deposit and is trying to keep it, you can report this and if he still refuses to give it back then you can make a small claims action against him to obtain the same back.

You can complete the forms for a claims action easily online.  You will have to highlight what the issues are and tell them how much you are claiming for, to be honest the first are straight forward and self-explanatory.   If you feel you can do this yourself then you don’t really need to hire a solicitor but I will provide details for you in case you feel you want to.  You will then receive a response to the claim and a court date.  On the day (unless they offer a settlement) you will appear at the local court and basically provide your evidence and give you claim to the judge and they will response.  The judge will assess the merits of the claim and defence and make a judgement this should be relatively easy for you to prove so the respondent may well offer a settlement in the meantime.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the  future,  please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.

RJM Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you