How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3446
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I'd need some legal advice on working from abroad for a UK

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I'd need some legal advice on working from abroad for a UK company.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not talked to a lawyer yet. I am moving to Italy but still working for my UK employer.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Do I need a UK residential address if I work for a UK company from abroad?

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Thank you for the question.   The simple answer is no, you do not need a residential address in the UK to work for a UK company at all.   You can work for a UK company in almost any other county in the world.  However if you do not have a UK address and therefore resident in a foreign country, you will be subjected to the taxation laws of that country. and not the UK, therefore you will require to ensure the company you are working for is dealing with that correctly.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Dear RJM, thanks a lot for your prompt answer.
My company does not seem too happy to change the contract, so that I can pay taxes in Italy. I was hoping to leave my contract as it was and just physically move there and work from there. Is there any way for me to leave my residency in the UK? For example by using one of those companies that provide a "virtual" addres forcorrespondence that forward the mail to your address abroad? Or by simply asking some friend to let me register at their address? I really want to avoid to make any pressure on my company, I don't want to run the risk of being penalised or even fired.
Thanks a lot for your patience...

Thank you, ***** ***** company agrees for you to work abroad,then they really don't have a choice in the matter even if they don't provide you with new written terms.  You could look at setting up limited company in the UK but then you would not be an employee, you would be a contractor and your employer would have to agree to this (they would not be liable to pay your tax in this case).  However there are still applicable rules about paying tax if not resident in the UK.   However so long as you employer agrees to  you working abroad they are responsible to ensure you pay the correct taxation.

RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you