How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 80785
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My daughter wishes to retract her police statement, she

This answer was rated:

My daughter wishes to retract her police statement, she feels she was bullied, tricked and mislead by them. The police say she cannot withdraw her statement. What on earth can we do?
JA: Where is your daughter? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: She lives in Oxfordshire
JA: What steps has your daughter taken so far?
Customer: just asked the police
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it is for a sexual offence

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Can you give me the background to this matter please

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
what do you want to know?
My daughter was tricked into giving a statement to the police recently, in which it accuses my husband of indecent assault nearly 20 years ago. she wishes to withdraw that statement now, but how? police say she cant.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I can not afford that right now, I am sorry.

Are you asking if she can retract?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
retract yes or drop the case, just make the police part stop, the police say they may even summon her to continue....she wants to stop it all.

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

You could tell them you don’t want to support a prosecution. However, bear in mind the answer below.

I’m afraid they can be very heavy handed now. It is not really in the public interest in my view.

They will almost certainly summons you if you are not already. Their current policy is to summons reluctant witnesses.

If you attend court and resile from your statement they will just put your original statement to you hearsay

The only real option is to stay away although they may try to introduce your statement hearsay but it is weaker then. But equally they may get a summons and arrest you on a witness warrant.

That said, you may be in luck and they may let you retract.

If there are children in the house, social services will very probably investigate though.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.


Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you