Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My vehicle was found, having been stolen, 22 July 2021 We

Good morning My vehicle was found, having been stolen, 22 July 2021 We recieved a letter in the factory on 18 August 2021, it was signed that day
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I was unable to contact perivale as they did not answer my calls, I did leave an extensive voice message (not sure which day), there was no obvious email address. I was in Spain at the time.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Aparently they have sold my vehicle
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have no idea how much for, the condition or anything Regards

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Was the van registered to this factory?

and when did you call and who are Perivale?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have been away for the last 3 months in Spain, the first time I have been made aware of the motorbike being impounded was 18 Aug 2021 via a letter from the car pound to my office - I would assume therefore the bike is registered to the office

This is one of the problems if you do arrange your mail to be taken care of when you are not around.

As you appreciate, they cannot keep it indefinitely.

However your insurance cover should pay out in exactly the same way that it would have done if the vehicle has not been found.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Unfortunately this bike was only insured 3rd party - not fire and theft - so I am seriously out of pocket
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
There was only 7 working days between the signed notice and them disposing of the vehicle - this does not sound correct or legal
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do apologies.However, we generally do not reply to this mailbox as it is for documents only.
Since the vehicle has been disposed of, you will have to go through our complaints team to answer any questions you may have.Please write to
VRES
PO BOX 65484
LONDON
SE7 7HY
Mark
This is what I have had from perivale documents
Is it worth you writing a letter of enquirey, and if so how much would it cost?
James

The seven working days is unreasonable.  Grossly unreasonable because you can actually just have been on a fortnight’s holiday.  Indeed, the only send one letter is unreasonable because you may not have got it for whatever reason.

Your only remedy therefore if they will not pay up is to take the compound to court for the cost of the vehicle which they have a reasonably disposed of.

I would exhaust the complaints procedure first and then tell them, if they don’t agree to pay up what it was worth by a deadline, take them to the Small Claims Court.

The new Moneyclaim beta system is easy to use: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

the new system is much better than the old government Gateway system.

You can prepare the proceedings now, at your leisure, save them, and then just pay the fee and press the button when the deadline in your letter before action, expires.

It's then just a case of following the court process and responding to any emails that you receive.

Please note that the value is the value as it was in the compound as stolen and recovered, not the pre-theft value.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Great answer - Many thanks for all your help - How much would it cost for you to write a letter to the pound explaining my position - linguistically I am not great, and it will have far more weight from a solicitor