How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9579
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

Is this a free consultation please? I’m afraid I cannot

This answer was rated:

Is this a free consultation please?
JA: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: I’m afraid I cannot commit without knowing how much it will be
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Consett in County Durham UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I went to a voluntary police interview and am awaiting a decision regarding a possible caution. I would also like to raise a defence and file a harassment report against the plaintiff too
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I confessed to the harassment but raised à defence which I would like to pursue

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Many thanks

At this stage you would not need to put forward a defence because that would be something you would present in court if you are charged and prosecuted. You can complain to the police yourself on 101 in relation to the harassment though. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That’s helpful, thanks. When I phone the police, do I say it’s for a harassment report? I’m not familiar with legal terms, sorry. There is also gaslighting involved, of which I have written proof, can I file that also?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also, could you let me know about cautions, how long before I hear about a decision, do I have to accept it straightaway or can I think about it, & if so, for how long? If I have a case to go to court, will I be arrested for refusing the caution & will I go to jail until the court case?

Yes that it is in relation to harassment under the protection from harassment act 1997. In terms of a caution there is no strict time limit on when the caution needs to be given. You can think about it you do not have to accept it immediately, in terms of how long it is likely to be a few days rather than weeks. No you will not be arrested for refusing the caution and if you are on bail now you would likely continue with bail until trial. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. Is there a maximum amount of damages the plaintiff can demand if he doesn’t want the matter to go to court? Would my financial situation be taken into account? The police have asked quite a few questions about my financial situation so I’m guessing that is where this would be going were I to accept the caution.
After filing a report for harassment against the plaintiff, would there be a resolution available to both of us whereby we agree never to pursue the matter again, something that would be legally binding?

No there is no maximum amount he can demand, he can demand what he likes but obviously if it is too much so it is not affordable there would be no settlement. Your financial situation would be taken into account as to what is affordable for you. There is no legally binding resolution to prevent police action. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If I accept the caution and pay damages, can he also take me to court at a later date?

If is a criminal offence it would not be him but the police and crown prosecution service but yes they could. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
a caution is not the end of it? I have admitted to the harassment, if I accept the caution I can then be prosecuted, would I be able to defend myself considering he harassed me himself? Also, would I have to pay more damages and/or be sent to prison?

No if you accept the caution that is the end of the matter. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. Would you recommend that I file a harassment report now or wait until I hear about the outcome of his report against me?

I would suggest you wait until you hear the outcome of his against you but it is up to you. I trust this assists

Jeremy Aldermartin and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you very much, ‘talking’ to you has been very helpful.

Happy to help, take care