How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3071
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I have a UAE debt collector calling my boss trying to get

This answer was rated:

i have a UAE debt collector calling my boss trying to get money on a 7 year old credit card debt in the UAE. Can i get an injunction against this harrassment?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: you are the first....I live here in UK........the Debt collector is in the UAE
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no....but need to come back online in 30 ins Thanks
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thanks......i understand that only A UK debt collector can collect my debts even if from another country
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
This Sharjah based Co in now harrassing my new MD - Can i put in an injunction?

Hi there,

That Debt agency chasing you for UAE debt would need UK court orders for recovering that debt in the UK. You would need to see the jurisdiction clause of the Loan/credit agreement that you signed with the UAE Lender . If the Middle East courts have exclusive jurisdiction then court proceedings can not be initiated in the UK.

There are different limitation laws in UAE, in the UK , the limitation period is of 6 years to recover the debt by legal proceedings, time period to recover the debt is much more in UAE.

But the point is you are in the UK, not UAE . UAE debt collector would have to get judgement against you and get that judgment enforced via a UK court. In the UK court , validity of the agreement and the debt as well as limitation period can be argued.

Regarding injunction, as the other party is not based in the UK, it would be simpler if you just block their calls.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Many thanks -I left 7 years ago

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I agree-lets hope my MD thinks the same

If you have any follow-up question, please let me know

Thank you. Have a good day.

Vineet S and other Law Specialists are ready to help you