Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

Is it possible to speak to a divorce lawyer? No not yet,

Hello, is it possible to speak to a divorce lawyer?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Only my brother who is a lawyer ( in a different area) but not to a family lawyer
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, I was married in May 2008 and left my husband in December 2018 but we haven't been able to divorce as the company we own is in ongoing litigation (as the claimant) and all of our funds have been tied up with that Also, I founded the company in 2004 with my brother as a sleeping partner and as my husband didn't work for around 6 years we gave him a 24.9% share in the business as he put some money into it

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Why is this stopping you from starting divorce proceedings?

is there a marital property? if so in who's name mortgage?

any children under 18?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hello Stuart
The reason we have not started divorce proceedings is due to the financial obligations of the ongoing litigation. We sold our house to continue to fund the litigation. My husband has 2 children from his first marriage. I left my husband under duress after attending therapy with him for his anger issues which became heightened due to the stresses of the litigation. The therapist was picking up on the fact that James was abusive and this made him become angrier and angrier with me to the point where I left the house for my own safety and moved in with my brother taking my dog and 2 cats. James had stolen my joint debit card and shredded it the evening before I left and I have had nothing to do with the bank account since as I didn't want to provoke his anger in any way that could jeapordise the legal case.He is a Chartered Accountant and is trying to present the Director's loan account in a way that is completely favourable to him, claiming all of the assets as his, including his inheritance from his father in 2012/2013 and all of the drawings as mine. My brother is a lawyer and owns 25.1% of the shares of the business and I am the majority shareholder with 50%. My husband also stopped working a couple of years after we married due to taking his employer to an employment tribunal, unable to find a 'suitable' job and and only worked on a couple of contract jobs for a few months each, he mostly didn't work for around 6+ years. I was extremely unhappy in the marriage by 2014 but was then diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in October 2014 and went on to have treatment and surgeries until the summer of 2016. During this time my husband stepped in to help with the day to day running of the business, along with an Operations Manager I recruited. The legal proceedings commenced in the summer of 2016 and have been ongoing since.
I would appreciate your advice on this complicated situation.
Kind regards,
Donna