Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My husband who is a unite member has had to take a lot off

My husband who is a unite member has had to take a lot off time off over nearly the last year.
JA: Where is your husband? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Norfolk
JA: What steps has your husband taken so far?
Customer: Kept boss informed re health but today out of the blue he received a phone call from the boss re a meeting without predijuce for tomorrow
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Also involves work colleague attitude to my husband. Unsure if we have been given correct time limit for meeting

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

How long has your husband worked for his employer? and what is your specific query in relation to this so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Employed for 41 years.
How does he go about dealing with this meeting as only told about it this lunch time. Also how do we take the without predijuce wording?

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Could we delay phone call to 4pm as need to do school run now?

Many thanks for your patience. I am pleased to be able to continue helping with your query now. There is nothing in law dealing with how much notice the employer has to give for a without prejudice meeting, it could be given on the spot if needed so he cannot challenge them legally over the notice he has received for it. At the same time, if he is not prepared to ready to attend, he can ask for a short delay, although it is up to the employer to decide whether to grant that.

He should also not feel under any pressure to accept anything at that meeting and t(e main purpose of it should be to discuss their proposal and be given the terms that would apply to it. He should then be allowed to take that away with him to consider it, before coming back with a decision. The time can then be used to go through the offer and wording in more detail and allow him to decide whether this is something which he is willing to accept, or even consider.

Also, remember that their first offer is unlikely to be their best, ***** ***** may be some further room for negotiation possibly.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks for now. Very helpful.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best