james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My son has today been turned down for Cat D due to him being

Hi, my son has today been turned down for Cat D due to him being ‘unable’ to complete a course of some sort. However, he has been requesting all year to complete the course and each time been turned down due to Covid. We have extenuating circumstances also and as a family we have all been holding on for the Cat D. He is currently in Cat C. 2yrs 8 months left on sentence. Is there anything we can do please? Thank you
JA: Where is your son? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: He is in Nottingham in the U.K.
JA: What steps has your son taken so far?
Customer: He has been asking repeatedly since the very beginning of Covid for clarification of whether covid would affect his Cat D with no definitive answer. However, I know my son and they clearly reassured him enough for him to not worry too much. Otherwise I would most definitely heard a lot more about it. He requested could he do it online which they said wasn’t possible. It is a TSP. I think it stands for thinking skills programme. He managed to complete all the other required programmes by completing them in his cell but my understanding is that perhaps this is a group programme. Nevertheless with zoom, that’s not an excuse. Honestly I can barely think to type as I’m so upset. My mum is seriously ill and so am I. He has a two year old little girl that has barely seen her dad due to Covid and the little girl is neglected to say the least.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Very sorry to hear what has happened.
Unfortunately, this has been a common thing due to Covid19.

If all other course work has been completed, you would think that they could allow a move as the only reason is a failure of the service to offer the course online or via some group video system.

He can appeal the decision and suggest that the course could still be completed at the cat D prison.

I would advice that he seek a prison law specialist form to represent him. There is still some limited legal aid for prison law. The best place to find such a firm is the prison paper inside time.

I have  attached a link here.

https://insidetime.org/

Can I assist or clarify anything further?
Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. Does my son have to make contact with the solicitor himself or can I do it on his behalf? Also, is it possible for me to get a solicitor from somewhere other than the inside times? This matter is totally unacceptable given our circumstances and I don’t want him being given any old solicitor. Thank you

They would only take instructions from your son.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay. Thank you

Your welcome.