How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3011
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

Situation is complicated and you might be able to help me. I

This answer was rated:

Hello, situation is complicated and you might be able to help me. I own a new van which was driven by a friend of mine. He is fully insured on my policy has every right to drive the van. He was at work when he got out of the van just for a minute, he was like 5 meters away from the van while the key was in the ignition. A guy got in the van and tried to steal it, he quickly run back and tried to stop the person but he started to drive while my friend was hanging from outside through the half opened window and in like 20 meters they crashed into another car. The guy got away, because a car was waiting for him where he jumped in and they disappeared. My friend noted the licence plate then obviously called the police. The police didn’t come on the scene they just created a case over the phone. So my van is damaged now however my friend settled cash on the spot for the person who’s car was damaged. I am thinking to repair it myself without claiming through the insurance fearing my premium will fly away. But the main question here is if my friend could try to sue that unknown person for any loss he suffered. I am negative about the situation because I do not believe the police will ever find the guy. Is there a way that the law could help my friend who is pretty much innocent except leaving the key in the ignition? Is there a possibility to ask for any financial support from any party or it is a lost case, and we should not hope for any compensation? He did get injured; he did have to rent a vehicle to be able to complete his work and obviously he is really stressed about the whole situation. If there is anything can be done to support him I would really like to know. Thanks
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: no


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Your friend has a potential cause of action against the person that caused the collision and the injury suffered.

Therefore if the police finds the person a case against the person should be considered. However whether to bring the case is another question because the person may not even have the means to pay for your friends losses therefore the financial position of the person should be checked out before considering such action. This can be done by instructing solicitors to consider the claim as they have means on finding out about an individual's finances.

Do you under stand what i have stated?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I understand. It does not sound very good
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Lets say the police does find the person, as I remember my friend told me it was a relatively young person. In case he does not have any money does it make any sense to take legal actions against him or we will not get far? Because it is a crime and I think he must cover the cost of the damage no matter what situation he is in. Get a loan I do not care to be honest, next time he will thing twice to steal or not to steal. But I am not a doctor of law unfortunately know nothing about it.

Yes a claim can still be made where the court can force the person to make monthly payments until the loss is satisfied.

However the court can not force him to get a loan because that may put the person in more debt.

I hope i have clarified the position.


Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I undestand thank you. Worst case scenario if the police will never find the person. Is there anything we an do? Thanks

Unfortunately there is little that can be done if the person is never found.


Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay, thank you for your time and answers. Good bye

Your welcome

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe

Anthony Chendo and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you