RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

Rule 14(1) - First Tier(Property Chambers) Rules 2013,

Rule 14(1) - First Tier(Property Chambers) Rules 2013, allows for a qualified or non qualified to be a Representative for any party in proceedings.I am currently the Rep for x 3 Applicants in a case. Have already conducted a CMD hearing, no complaints. New Counsel for the other side has arrived and has objected to me, citing “a McKenzie friend cannot act in the capacity I am currently doing” , eg as a Rep.For normal CPR I understand this to be the case but this Tribunal has its own set of rules and procedures. I see Rule 14(1) clear cutAny thoughts?

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you for the question the role of MacKenzie Friend and that of a representative are different.   When looking at civil court, there are strict rules to what a MF can and cannot do as only a solicit has the right to provide advice and legal guidance etc. however a MF can sit with the claimant or even speak on their behalf but not provided representation.  In the Tribunal, a representative does not require to be legally qualified therefore you should make it clear to the judge if you are acting as a MF or a representative.  Clearly, the judge to this point has had no issue with your providing representation therefore I do not see why this would change.  However, ultimately, it would be up to the judge to order a position on this matter.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.