How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15024
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Thank you so much for the quick response. I have contacted

This answer was rated:

Hello Jim, thank you so much for the quick response. I have contacted the council and they said they don’t get involved as it is not a council flat. By the way, I don’t know whether I made myself clear. I live on the ground floor, I own my flat. The leakage from upstairs and it is rented out. The leakage started over 2 years ago and after numerous negotiations, landlord finally pay the cost to repair the leakage( repair was done by the management company contractor). But the landlord kept postpone repair the damage ceiling in my flat caused by leakage. He either say no his responsibility or no money. In this situation, does council still can help? Many many thanks. Regards Helen
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It is already clear not his tenants’s responsibility for the leakage.

Hello Helen, this is Jim and thanks for the further question.

The council can get involved if a landlord is not doing their job - it does not have to be a council property so my view is you make this clear and you want the council to help given the landlord's inaction. They should do this.
If they do not, you could make a complaint to the council - ask for their final response and then ask the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) to help - the Ombudsman's decision is binding on the council and that may work. Here is their link:
I would say this would resolve the dispute - the Ombudsman only takes a few weeks to make a decision but you do need to make the complaint to the council first and once you have the final response, involve the LGO.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,


Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of. Best wishes,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Your answer is brilliant and give me confidence to resolve it. Thank you so much Jim!!

My pleasure and thank you for the kind words - have a good evening, thanks!