How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5641
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

Someone is threatening to blackmail me and I don’t know what

This answer was rated:

Hi, someone is threatening to blackmail me and I don’t know what to do next
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: U.K. and the blackmailers are in Australia
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: responded by email but have not sent any money
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: those are the main details. Thanks

Good morning, welcome to just answer.

I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

Please note that although I can guide you, just answer doesn’t provide legal representation and as such no Solicitor/client relationship is formed.

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. Blackmail or threatening to do so is a crime in England and Wales and therefore you can report to the police. If the police will not act immediately because they do not deem you under serious threat or to be in danger you can still apply fit injunction against the person if their conduct is causing you alarm and to fear for your own security and safety.

If you have any follow up questions please do not hesitate to send your message, I am always glad to clarify anything. Thank you for contacting just answer. All the best,

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. How would I apply for an injunction please? I fear reporting this to the police will not result in a swift enough response as I have only been given 24 hours to respond

You are welcome. You complete form 16A together with application notice form N244  and your sworn with statement of truth statement detailing your situation. You will file these with your local county court. If you can’t afford the court fees you should file form EX160 for fee waiver at the same time. Because it’s urgent you should request that it is heard urgently and without a hearing. If the person blackmailing you is a partner or spouse or family you can apply for non-molestation order which is free and quicker.

SolicitorRM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you