Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have been gifted some royalties from my late partner. I

I have been gifted some royalties from my late partner. I live in the UK, as did he. I would like to know if there is a certain limit before one has to pay tax of something like that? If so how much is allowed before one is ‘taxable’ by British law? The Will was made under Scottish law, I live in London. I am a pensioner and do not normally pay tax (except council tax). Please advise me thank you.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Scotland as that is where the Will was issued. I could try to ask my former partner’s solicitor?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None as this has just happened a week ago.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Thank you for asking. You do not have to connect me with a lawyer now as I should really ask the Scottish solicitor’s advice first, thank you, ***** ***** not think of that!

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I will endeavour to help you today.

No there is no tax on the royalties by the individual beyond income tax if the royalties exceed the personal allowance threshold (£12,500)

instead the company paying the royalties pays a tax of 20% before paying out the royalties. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I apologise! I ticked the wrong box, I am indeed very satisfied as you answered my question satisfactorily. I wanted to give you top mark, please correct this for me, thank you.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I was very satisfied with Jeremy’s reply: top marks from me!
I have no more questions at the moment. Ulla

Happy to help, take care