How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5852
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My partner of 10years has walked out we have a joint morgage

Customer Question

My partner of 10years has walked out we have a joint morgage what steps do I need to take next
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. I would just like to know what steps I need to take next and the quickest way to get it all sorted
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
At this moment in time I would rather type.
Expert:  james bruce replied 13 days ago.

It this going to be a temporary separation, a permanent separation or will divorce proceeding be on the table

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We are not married and the separation is going to be permanent
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Do you need any further information
Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

If the separation is to be permanent, yo will both need to decide what happens to the property.

Will it be sold?, will one of you buy the other out?

This is something the two of you will need to reach an agreement on.

Are there children in the house?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No children. She doesn't want the house and I would rather sell the house but I am still not sure as we both just want it sorted as quickly as possible.
Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

If neither of you what the property and would rather sell the house, then it is a rather simple process. List the house with an estate agent, accept any reasonable offer made, the conveyancing solicitor would sort all the paperwork. They would pay off any outstanding mortgage to the lender and they give you both a check for a 50 /50 split of th proceeds of the sale.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
That is very helpful. Thank you
Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

your very welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.