John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

Do you charge for the advise? Need help, Please connect me

Customer Question

Do you charge for the advise?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Need help
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Please connect me to someone
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No please connect
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

What would you like to know today as this will help determine whether I can assist you?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Anthony.I am a doctor by profession and recently been to a dentist, the experience was not great for me and I came home really unhappy. I left a google review( I would say it was quite an harsh one because I was really pissed but it was a genuine one and I didnt use any slang language), the owner of the dental practise sent me an email saying that he will take legal action against me.. instead of taking the critisizm to work on improving. Can you advise me something for this?

Unfortunately this is out of my expertise therefore I will opt out.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for your message, and sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your dentist. The legal action he could potentially take against you is for defamation.

Defamation which includes libel is written communication of a false statement that unjustly harms his reputation. However, there is a defence to it, if what is written is true or a true and honest belief.

Therefore if what you wrote was genuine as you say you will have valid defence and it will be difficult for the dentist to take legal action against you.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for your help John.I wouls please like to clarify the charges for this conversation?Because he was so cross to me and sent me a threatening sort of an email I was forced to remove my comment although that was my genuine opinion.
Find his email attached
"Dear Ms Riaz,Further to your visit to the practice on Friday, you will be provided
with your Oral Health Report and Treatment Plan along with a copy of
your radiographs as soon as possible.However, we were sorry to read your review posted on the internet which
included some libellous content, especially as you seemed to be happy
when you left the surgery and had written the email below asking for
your treatment plan in anticipation of making appointments for your
recommended treatment.As with all of our patients, details of your communication with the
practice prior to your visit were noted contemporaneously, as were the
details of your new patient consultation. I thought it prudent to inform
you that this information, along with a screenshot of the comments that
you published are to be forwarded to my legal support team for further
advice regarding the correct course of action to be taken"The fact that he caused me immense distress and that it was indeed an overall horrible and unpleasant experience for me, I wanted to give my opinion which I have full right to but now his email has caused me immense distress
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am charged a sum of 44£.. so just wanted to clarify before proceeding further. Initially they said 5£ for a week trial.but then there was a sum of 44£ which I dont recognise...
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I do not deal with charges, that is something you will need to discuss with our customer service team. From my understanding you pay £5 for a trial fee and you can ask a question. But please contact our customer support for further information on thathttps://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us the £44 is for a premium service which is a phone call.  These are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call, but if you do then please contact our customer service team.

Regarding your query, I am sorry it caused you immense distress. You are entitled to leave a review, as is everyone but where it will border on the legalities of the matter is if the review you left were dishonest, and malicious and has affected his reputation to a detrimental effect. If not, and as mentioned above it is a true or a true and honest belief, even though it my not be favourable to his practice, then there would be no legal action he could successfully pursue against you.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
By no means the review was dishonest. It was purely based on what I felt and the series of things that happened.However because of his email I found it better to just remove my comment rather than causing myself more stress.However if he goes on doing any legal action, what should be my next step?
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

If he takes legal action, you will simply need to defend it on the grounds that the comments were a true and honest belief, which would mean they were in no way disingenuous nor did it cause harm to his reputation as you have subsequently removed it. I do not see a viable claim from his end, given what you have stated.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can he sue me financially?It is sucha shame that despite being so rude, instead of being apologetic, he went on to further cause me distress. Clearly there was a degree of racism and I did mention that In my comment. I will find my comment and send it to you just so that you know exactly what I wrote...
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

He cannot sue you financially unless he has made a financial loss as a result of the comments. This is unikely, I would not be concerned, particularly as you have removed it.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks John.If I had decided to keep the comment, what could be possibly do? This way he will keep harrassing everyone and also that it was my right to give my honest opinion in the first place but my prime concern was if he sues me financially to make more money.Regarding financial loss, this comment was posted on his dental surgery's website which brings down his rating and everyone else can see.. so if that is considered as a financial loss!!
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

A defamation suit is hard at the best of times to successfully pursue. They have left it open on their website to accept reviews. Not every review is positive but as long as they are honest, then people are entitled to leave them. People can leave negative reviews, if their experience was negative. If he was successful in a defamatory claim against you, he will need to prove what financial loss he sustained as a direct result of your review. It is unlikely he will be able to do this, for the simple fact there is an option to leave a negative review which effectively brings his ratings down in any event, and this is permissible. It is not so much the fact the ratings. What is not permissible is if the review was dishonest and malicious which he would need to prove, and then link that to a financial loss. I do not see a strong claim here from him.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I see.Thanks John.Sucha huge relief. He caused me immense distress.. my review was purely based on a true experience and based on what I actually felt..If I want to get in touch with you, what is the best way?Please let me know...
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

If that is the case, then you need not be concerned. I am accessible via this website, you can always request myself in any new questions. I will be happy to help.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks alot John. That is a huge relief.
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great evening.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks alot. I will get in touch with you tomorrow as to what he says...
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

No problem. Kindly post a new question thread, as I am a working solicitor and may not be on here. This is just so you are not kept waiting, and another expert can assist. Once I log on, if your question is still unanswered, I will happily pick it up. All the best.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I see. So tomorrow if I have to get intouch with you, should I ask for you?
Because if there is a different person tomorrow, I might have to start over again...
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

You can ask any expert. They can see old questions and will be able to be up to speed. Alternatively, if I log on and see it unanswered I will help answer any queries you may have.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks alot John.
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Plesure, all the best.