james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I have a disciplinary at work tomorrow, which could result

Customer Question

I have a disciplinary at work tomorrow, which could result in my dismissal. Basics of it is I overheard 2 junior colleagues saying who had been appointed to 2 roles in our department. Note that one of those discussing the appointments is daughter in law of the department head and the other is/ was a long term friend. I assumed therefore the information was in the public domain and discussed it with another colleague along with another matter under confidentiality, who then mentioned it to the department head assuming it was public knowledge. It seems this was privileged information, so they are accusing me of fabricating information and damaging the business. I later found that one of the new hires is also a friend of the the daughter-in-law and the result of the hiring process should not be known. I'm likely to get fired as they are a close knit group of friends/family and have lied, saying I made it all up. Is there any way of halting this so some common sense can be applied and the gossips held to account rather than me?
Thanks,Rob
Expert:  james bruce replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you James

Unfortunately, you cannot stop the disciplinary hearing going ahead tomorrow.

You are allowed to attend with a union rep if you are a member, or another employee for support.

You need to put your case at the hearing explaining where and how you heard what you did.

Ask for those concerned be called to give evidence if any dispute.

If the worst happens, then you can appeal the decision.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'll end up in appeal. I suppose they have over-reacted to prevent their own exposure, but it's one of those your word vs. mine scenarios. I have another employee for support. They haven't actually said who made the complaint, or it's exact nature other than broadly it's to do with fabrication of information. I'll have to see how its goes.

Good luck.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.