RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

A rival team has submitted an email to our governing body

Customer Question

A rival team has submitted an email to our governing body accusing one or more of our players of racial abuse. They also claim the coaches were present and heard everything, yet did nothing about it.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We did not hear ANY racist comments and our local league has had no report from the opposing team
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The claims were made by a " member of tge public" ehich i think is also a lie. I believe the perdon who has made the claim is associated to the opposing team
Expert:  RJM Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  If this is the case then it could be defamation yes, however in order to take legal action for this you would require to provide evidence to support the claim.  In order to prove defamation of character there are two “barriers” which you must prove.  Firstly, you must show that there has been a publicised statement which is to your detriment.  You must be able to show that it is not true.  So just for an example, if you have been convicted of a crime, and maintain your innocence, and someone publicises this on social media you wouldn’t have a case as you have been found guilty by law.  You must be able to show that the statement is untrue.  Secondly you must be able to show that you have suffered or are likely to suffer a detriment due to the false information which has been shared about you. If you can do both things, then you will be successful in your case for defamation.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.