james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My partner is currently being held on remand awaiting trial

My partner is currently being held on remand awaiting trial for domestic abuse. I have not lied to the police about anything but I no longer want to press charges on him. What is the best way to say to the police I don’t want to go ahead? If they summon me to court can I say in court it’s been blown out of proportion and I don’t want to see him sentenced?

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi James, thank you!
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I don’t want to go ahead, I feel people have put words into my mouth and I was pressured into making a statement when I wasn’t in the right head space
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I just don’t know what the best way is for me to speak to the police about this and hope they will take this into consideration

I am very sorry to say, but the decision to press charges or not, is not and has never been yours to make, this is a very common error many people make because often they see it on TV etc.

In reality, you are the victim and a prosecution witness.

You made a complaint of domestic abuse to the police, they would have investigated the case possibly arrested the suspect. The case must haver been thought serious enough to charge him to court by the Crown prosecution service. It is they that decide whether to charge or not.

It must also be serious for him to have been remanded in custody pending a trail, either that, or he ignored bail conditions and breached them leading to his re arrest and remand in custody.

You can, make a new statement to the police stating that you do not support a prosecution and that it has all been blown at of proportion, that statement will be taken from you and passed to the CPS to review. Even if they decide to ignore that and continue to trial, the statement will be given to the defence, who can introduce it as evidence in court to support their case for the defence.

You are certainly likely to be summons to court as a prosecution witness. If you start to say that in court, the prosecution are likely to ask the court for permission to treat you as a hostile witness so that they can question you differently.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi James, I have spoken with the police and said I want to make a retraction statement, they have agreed to see me tomorrow. He said he won’t talk me into changing my mind but I know he is going to try and word it in the cps favour
I would suggest preparing you own statement this evening when you are clear a n focused and not under any pressure from the officer, then tomorrow you can read your statement which they can copy onto a legal statement form, then you can double check it and sign it.

Further to our phone conversation

preparing you own statement this evening when you are clear and focused about what you want to say and not under any pressure from the officer at the police station, then tomorrow you can read your statement which they can copy onto a legal statement form, then you can double check it and sign it.

Don't be bullied by thr officer to say anything you don't want to say.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi James, I have now written my statement and so pleased I have done so tonight with a clear head and no one telling me what to write. I think I needed this for my own head to do what I actually want not what people are telling me to want.
I really appreciate you giving me the time this evening.
Your very welcome, good luck tomorrow.

Take care.