How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3166
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I'm a builder I done a job for someone 4 years ago and they

Customer Question

hi I'm a builder I done a job for someone 4 years ago and they have had a problem with the job and not notified me. I want to put the job right but they are not giving me the opportunity and they want to take me to court
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Coventry
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I'm in the process of sorting the work out but they won't let me use my electrition who carried out the work that I payed him for
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 17 days ago.


Welcome to Ja.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Do you have evidence in writing of the person's refusal to let you do the works?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have an email from them saying that they don't wont me electrician they want to use another one at my cost
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
the email is from there solicitor acting on there behalf
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 17 days ago.


Thanks for the further information.

I suggest you write to them and inform them that you will raise this issue in court because it is obvious that they have failed to mitigate the loss given it will be more expensive to get someone to do the job than you.

You should also prepare a document which details the potential costs to fix such work because the Court may want to compare the prices in question.

Hopefully when you send the letter to the solicitor they will wish to now engage in a meaningful discussion to resolve this issue.

I hope I have clarified the position.


Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thank you can you just tell me by law do you need to give the trades person a chance to rectify his work before you get some else thanks again
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 16 days ago.

It's not mandatory that tradesmen must be given a chance to repair before the customer goes somewhere else.


Customer: replied 16 days ago.
can they use someone else and charge me even they haven't given me the opportunity to rectify the work
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 16 days ago.

Yes they can but as said above you have grounds to challenge the amount charged on the basis of perhaps your work would have been cheaper.


Customer: replied 16 days ago.
let me just clarify that if say I went to get my car fixed by a garage and they missed something and the car still did not run right i could then go to a different garage get it fixed and then charge the original garage where I first took it !!!
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 16 days ago.

Yes the consumer can claim those charges. However whether the amount is recoverable is debatable as every circumstances is different.

I hope i have clarified the position.

If you wish to continue the chat i will send a request to pay for further QnA session, which will costs $60.