MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

I went into a local pub on Friday night and asked the

Customer Question

I went into a local pub on Friday night and asked the landlord for a bottle of magniers cider. The landlord said to me that he was getting a funny feeling about me. I asked him what he meant. Again he said i was giving him a funny feeling again i asked him what does that mean. He said that he recognised my face and that I had been in the pub before and caused trouble. I told him that I had never been in the pub before. He then said it didn't matter your not getting served. I asked him to look at his c.t.v recordings so he could see it was not me and he replied again it did not matter you are not getting served
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The pub is in Hayes
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I called the police that night when it happened
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes the reason he gave for serving me was not true it was because I am part of the travelling community
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 11 days ago.

Good morning, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, can you clarify your question so that I can best advise you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The landlord said he would not serve me because he recognised my face and that I had been in his pub before and caused trouble. I have never been in this pub before. I asked him to check his c.t.v recordings and he would see it was not me he replied it didn't matter he was not going to serve me anyway
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Before I call. On the information I have given you so far do you think I have a case for discrimination

Thank you for the clarification, the starting point to note is that a pub landlord is not obliged to serve anyone who comes into the pub. However a landlord cannot discriminate against a person, for example  on the grounds of their ethnicity.

From the information provided it would appear very difficult to establish a claim for discrimination as the landlord simply stated that he believed you had been in the pub before and caused trouble and he has the right not to serve you.  The landlord is not required to then review his C.C.T.V. footage to see is their assumption is correct.

The landlord did not imply or say that he was refusing to serve you as you were from a travelling background, therefore it would be very difficult to demonstrate you have been discriminated against.

Do you have any folllow up questions?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
When I asked him to view the c.t.v and he said it didn't matter he was not going to serve me anyway. I said to him that's because you know it was not me who caused trouble because I have never been in this pub before. I then said to him you are not serving me because I am a traveller he nodded his head and walked away and would not talk to me no more .so I went outside and called the police and made a complaint only to be told I probably have to wait a long time before a police officer would attend if at all

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, in all honesty I think you will have great difficulty in succeeding in a discrimination claim with the evidence you have. It is likely that the landlord will state that he refused to serve you simply because he believed you had caused trouble before and not on any discriminatory grounds.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your answers and I hear what you are saying but surely there is a law that says you cannot wrongfully accuse a person of causing trouble in a pub that person has never been in. Without proof and then say it doesn't matter if it was you or not I am still not serving you. Also my three sons and my son inlaw and my father inlaw were in the pub before me and he served them. Because I spoke to them that he was not serving me. He then put them out as well just because they told him that i had never been in his pub

Thank you so this would defeat your claim for discrimination of establishing discrimination if your sons and father-in-law identify as travellers as he served them in the first place.

As I said right at the start, there is no obligation on a landlord to serve any persons, a pub (although short for public house) is in fact private there is no right to be served.

Whilst he did believe that you had caused trouble (which was not in fact you) he does not even need to provide you a reason not to serve you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He only served them because he did not know they were travellers when he found out they were with me that's when he put them out. My sons were all born in England and my son inlaw.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What i mean is they all have English accents

Thank you for the clarification, I do not believe you will be successful in establishing a discrimination claim if you were to pursue this the landlord could argue that he did serve travellers and therefore he did not discriminate against the travellers. The reason he did not serve you was because he believed you had previously caused trouble in his pub (although this belief was wrongly held.)

I understand that this is not the answer you are seeking however i can only provide my answer based on the infromation provided

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello I called on Monday and paid £5 for some advice I was told that there was nothing I could do about what I thought was discrimination against me for being wrongful blame for something I had never done by a landlord in a pub I was never in before. If there is no law against a landlord accusing a person of something they had not done and get away with it. Then that's a bad law. I would also like to know that i am not going to be charged anymore money by your company
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 9 days ago.

Good morning, unfortunatley I have no control over billing or payments however if you contact customer services they will be happy to assist you in any questions you have on these matters.