Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Gm, I'm living at my property for ten years and I still have

Customer Question

Hi Gm , I'm living at my property for ten years and I still have got a bidding number, and it a private property, the house is full of mould.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: N9 0HT Enfield
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to the council regarding the matter but I'm getting no where with them and I have got a twelve year old son.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was issued an eviction letter in 2019 from the landlord, I took the letter to the council and take in all the required documents they ask for but I still haven't received the Bailiff letter as yet.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Under the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 a rented houses and flats should be ‘fit for human habitation’, which means that they are safe, healthy and free from things that could cause serious harm, you can read more about that here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/homes-fitness-for-human-habitation-act-2018/guide-for-landlords-homes-fitness-for-human-habitation-act-2018. One such issue is damp and mould.

The landlord must make sure that your home is ’fit for human habitation’, which means that it’s safe, healthy and free from things that could cause you or anyone else in your household serious harm. If the house is mouldy and damp, it can affect the health of the occupants.

Therefore, I suggest you contact environmental health at the council and trading standards as they can force the landlord to make repairs. I trust this assists