SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am looking to rent from a private landlord. I have a

Customer Question

Hi, I am looking to rent from a private landlord. I have a tenancy agreement but do not really know what to look for and how well I am protected. They want a month deposit in advance but say they have proof of ownership when collecting the keys. What should I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Deal, Kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No commitments so far. I have a paper tenancy agreement and passport photo ID of the owners
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 14 days ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer.
I am a solicitor and I will be reviewing your question.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
This seems a long time
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
At moment it looks like £5 down the drain
Please bare with me, I am currently on another case. I will be attending to you.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The agreement mentions Section 19A of the Housing Act 1988. Is this relevent?

I understand you intend to enter into a tenancy agreement, you have done well to do initiate a background check on the landlord. I take it the tenancy agreement documents are in the Land Lord's name and contact details, I advise you look up at the council and land registry. You will find the details at the land registry.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can I find this online?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have a mobile number, is this sufficient?

Yes the Act is relevent " Section 19A of the Housing Act 1988 (HA 1988) provides that an assured tenancy entered into after the day section 96 of the Housing Act 1996 came into force (28 February 1997) is automatically an assured shorthold tenancy.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
is that a good thing?
It is a good thing because you can then be assured your deposit will be protected and they will have to serve you with the relevant notices if they wish to evict you,
Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. I am always happy to guide you further. All the best
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
will the passport photo ID give me peace of mind? I am very short of time to decide this. I doubt I can get Land Registry in time. Just don't want to pay a deposit and lose the money. They say they have proof of ownership at the property but won't arrange viewing until a smaller deposit is paid. I can't afford to lose this so what is my best course of action?

Land Registry seacrh is done online and it costs you £3 it does not take long. Make sure the holding fee is refundable too.