Lawry
Lawry, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109896623

Can the team financial abuse be explained, in terms of a

Customer Question

Hello,Can the team financial abuse be explained, in terms of a marriage?
Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

Financial abuse within a marriage, involves a perpetrator using or misusing money which limits and controls their partner's current and future actions and their freedom of choice.

It can include using credit cards without permission, putting contractual obligations in their partner's name, and gambling with family assets.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How about no joint account, no access to his bank statement , no household budget, I am unaware of any / all of his spending and he gives me a £100 a week - which he is now withholding since I discovered his affair .Won’t allow me to get a mediator to help us through separation.I also have to explain what money I have spent from that £100 .Is any of that financial abuse?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Lawry
Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

Definitely.

Financial abuse involves controlling a victim's ability to acquire, use, and maintain financial resources.

They also may have their own money restricted or stolen by the abuser.

Rarely do they have complete access to money and other resources.

When they do have money, they often have to account for every penny they spend.

I feel most of the above applies to you.

I suggest you contact Relate on 0300(###) ###-####who can provide guidance and help.

Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks . It does but how do I prove it to solicitor or court in terms of domestic abuse case ?
Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

Proving financial abuse in divorce proceedings is highly personal.

Of course you need money for shelter, food, clothing, and daily living expenses.

There are usually bills like mortgages and car loans that need to be paid and you need money to take care of your children.

However, the amounts needed for these essentials can vary greatly depending on your financial situation.

Financial abuse can occur during different stages of your relationship and while proving financial abuse in marriage can be stressful, here are some things to consider:

• Financial abuse during the marriage. Abuse includes spouses who control the “family” finances or refuse to add your name to the checking and savings account.
  • Financial abuse can take effect after a divorce as well. Spouses may try to hide or devalue assets or use other financial dishonesty to prevent you from a just property division award, your right to alimony, and your right to child support. Spouses may claim their earnings have been significantly reduced after the divorce, to try to modify an alimony or child support order.

Proving financial abuse can be done by demanding the production of all relevant documents, including tax returns, profit and loss statements., retirement account records, bank account information, car titles, stocks and bonds, and many other assets.

You should also examine if your spouse has any trusts, life insurance policies, brokerage accounts, or safe deposit boxes.

Any evidence of these assets will show the abuse.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks , at what stage do I present financial abuse . When I petition for a divorce or after when discussing the financial arrangements ?
Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

Generally when discussing the financial arrangements but if you want to use it as part of the reasons for divorce under behaviour you can mention it in the petition.