How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3322
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I have a problem with my letting a agency, london, just

Customer Question

I have a problem with my letting a agency
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: just email with them
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: yes
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 12 days ago.

Hi there,

Could you please elaborate on the issue ?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
the problem is that I’m renting a flat with my partner. And since June there was a leak from ceiling. I was informing lettinga agency about it but they were doing nothing with that. About 2montha ago the leak was so strong that they send us to the hotel, of course they are paying for that hotel. We have been told that the leak will be fixed within 4-5 days but it’s been a second month right now and we still can’t move back to the flat because there’s nothing done there. The agency is sending us reminders to pay the full rent for the property, when I was asking via emails and phone calls to reduce the rent they were ignoring us for a month. We been looking for a new property to move in and when we found it of course new agency needs references from our agency. So we finally get an email from our agency that they can give a references only if we will pay while rent to them because none of reduce applied for us because they have us bed
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
For all that time we can’t use any of kitchen appliances, we have to eat take aways everyday, we have to pay for parking while we have a permit for whole year where we rent a flat, we have to pay for doing a laundry every week but they don’t care they think if they have us a bed in the hotel we should pay whole rent amount to them
Expert:  Vineet S replied 12 days ago.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Thank you.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for your patience.

Landlords are under statutory obligation for all necessary repairs in the rented accommodation.

Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 implies an absolute and non-excludable obligation upon landlords to carry out basic repairs. A landlord must keep a property in an adequate state of repair in terms of the structure and exterior.

So, Landlords are under statutory obligation for all essential repairs and keeping the rented accommodation in habitable state, under section 11 of the LTA.

If Landlord ignores the repair requests then it should be reported to the Environmental health department of the Local council. They can issue fines and ask landlord to carry out needed work at the property by issuing improvement notices.

Tenants can stop rent payments for the period of repairs only if it is provided in the tenancy agreement or mutually agreed with the landlord. So, tenants should not stop making rent payments for any disrepair issues.

Tenant can however , initiate compensation claim against their Landlord for their inconveniences . Before they start a court claim for compensation, they must send a formal 'letter before action' to their landlord and their letting agent. This letter must set out the detail of your claim.

Tenant would need to file form N208 for claiming the amount.

Click below web link for the relevant form and guidance-

The rent of the property is used as a basis to calculate the compensation. You will be awarded a percentage of your rent that you paid while you resided in the house. The actual percentage that you will be awarded depends on the severity of the disrepair. A completely uninhabitable property will result in 100% compensation, however, this is extremely rare. Normally, compensation ranges between 25% to 50% of the rent of the property for the total period of disrepair

So, you can initiate compensation claim against your landlord for the disrepair and your inconveniences . You can also use this as a tool for the early termination of your tenancy agreement, if you are tied in a fixed term.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 12 days ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.