Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I would like to know if can use a firm apart from the one

Customer Question

I would like to know if can use a firm apart from the one suggested by the insurance company to repair my house. My front door is covered by wood, making it obvious the house is empty and the insurer’s firm are unable to do the work until 16/12/21
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My house is in Doncaster.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have rung the insurance company who say they can do nothing to hurry it along.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The company doing the job say it needs a master craftsman, hence the delay. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

1. May I confirm if you have approached your insurer in this regard to date please?
  2. have you sourced an alternative contractor who can carry out the work sooner?
  3. Have they given you a quote?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have asked the insuers and they say they can do nothing to hurry the work.
No I have not approached anyone else as I wanted to make sure I could do so legally.
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

thank you. Insurers are not allowed to require you to use their preferred contractor. Legislation provides that insurers can provide for preferred contractors within the terms of their policy but they cannot make this prescriptive. In other words, if you tell them that you do not wish to use their preferred contractor, they cannot force you to do so and they must then instead settle the reasonable costs of an alternative contractor of your choice.

Accordingly, if you wish to use your own choice of contractor, then you will need to contact an alternative and obtain a quote and then inform the insurer of your wishes in this respect and put the quote to them. However, in terms of practicality, I would suggest not cancelling any appointment you presently have with the insurers contractor until such time as you have secured your own as there is a critical shortage of contractors which is leading to long delays and high prices and it would be unfortunate if you cancel the existing appointment only to find that you have to wait even longer for an alternative of your choice

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help. The worry is that I cannot live in the house and with the wood on the door it is so obviously empty.
The police broke in as a neighbour suggested I may be injured. Another neighbour had my mobile number but they did not get it before breaking in and rang me to explain what had happened. They got it boarded up and that’s where we are now.
Expert:  Joshua replied 10 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.