Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Do the Police have powers under the DDA to seize a dog from

Customer Question

Hi. Do the Police have powers under the DDA to seize a dog from a home where it has bitten a resident child?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Surrey, England.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: The dog has been contained in a room of the house and the owner is working with the rescue charity to find a solution to remove the dog and temporarily place in a home without children. The police have said they have until the end of the day to come up with a solution. This follows a phone call to say they were coming to seize the dog. Adopter reassured the that she was being proactive and working with the charity to find a solution.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Only that the Trustees of the charity are working to formulate a plan but not sure they can remove the dog within the time constraints.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Yes under s5 of the act. I trust this assists