How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2508
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I am a partner in a Limited Liability partnership and I’ve

Customer Question

I am a partner in a Limited Liability partnership and I’ve just received a solicitors letter saying my partner wants to retire as a partner and sell the assets, which is property. I do not want to sell
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london, un uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing as I’ve only just received the letter
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the business is owned 50/50 by myself and my sister. It’s a property letting business of some residential and commercial properties
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 15 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Have you spoken to the other partner about this situation?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My sister and I no longer talk due to a disagreement. She did message
Me a month or more ago about dissolving the partnership but I hadn’t heard anything until now. She chose to go to a solicitor instead of trying to resolve the situation. I know I need to get a solicitor as I have to reply to her solicitor within 14 days. She wants to sell our assets
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 15 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Unless there is a court order in place you should come to an agreement before assets are sold. If you cannot reach an agreement you will need to take the matter to court. If there was an agreement in place regarding what would happen if the partnership was dissolved you need to follow this agreement. But again if you cannot agree you need to go to court. I would advise that you instruct a solicitor in your area to represent you.

You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments. Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website:

You can also find other means of getting help with legal fees using this link: I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your advice. Just one final question: could you advise what type of solicitor I would need to contact? Would it be property law or partnership law or something else?
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 14 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. You should be able to do a search within the law society find a solicitor websitw. Try to look for company law. I hope this helps. Best wishes
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so much. I have contacted a few and waiting for them to come back to me. My
Main concern is that I do not wish to sell and that I am not forced to sell
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 13 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. No problem. I am glad to help. The lawyer will be able to examine your case in full and hopefully you will not need to sell.