Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have the following issue and really dont know where i can

Customer Question

hi good afternoon, i have the following issue and really dont know where i can go to ask what i can do. I have been away to see my family in Philippines ( red list country at that time ) in September and on my return i stopped in my native country Romania (green list country at that time ) on 29 September. On the 4th of October the rules entering the country during the covid-19 pandemic changed so on the 5th i took a flight to Bristol UK .(i want to mention that i am fully vaccinated individual coming from a green list country). At the border control this lady officer stopped me and with a really aggressive attitude she said "you need to go in a quarantine hotel right now". Long story short they called NHS and even if those guys were suggesting that they need to let me go in the country as i am coming from a green list country and i am fully vaccinated they forced them to book me a hotel and to send me against my will in a quarantine hotel. When i reached the hotel i asked to speak with a government representative and he assured me that if i will have a day 2 negative result they will release me ... it did not happen. On day 5 Philippines was moved on a green list country and i asked again can i be released now ? They again said NO. I fell all my rights have been violated , i have been taken by force and put in a hotel, i need to pay £2200 now and i was treated like a house arrest this all time.....
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: i have not spoken with anybody. I live in UK i have settle status
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have sent email to the officials yet no answer as of yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: non that i think of at the moment *none
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

What do you specifically want to know about this? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i want to know if there is something i can do to avoid paying this as i think this was an abuse. Also the entire reservation was made on the flight number from Romania and can prove i was coming from a green list county. Hope you can help me.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about this situation and any associated issues.

I appreciate that you were flying directly from a green list country, but were you in a red list country in the 10 days before your arrival in the UK?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

The problem you may find is that even though you flew from a green list country to the UK, you are required to quarantine if you have been in a red list country in the 10 days before your arrival to the UK. Therefore, if you were in the Philippines at any point in the 10 days before you arrived in the UK, it is the same as if you had flown directly from a red list country and those rules would apply to you.

Also, it makes no difference if the rules change halfway through and the red list country had become a green one – you are required to follow the rules which applied at the time of your arrival, so if that means you were required to quarantine for a specified period of time, you would have had to finish that period of quarantine, ignoring any change of rules that happen in the meantime – this has always been the case with travel list changes.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thank you for your reply and for information.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best