How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2504
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I hope you can help! My sister has been receiving Bailiffs

Customer Question

Hi i hope you can help!
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My sister has been receiving Bailiffs letters at her home address relating to someone else who lives in her road. She lives at no:2 and he lives at no:34.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: He is using my sisters address and therefore not paying his debts. She is a widow aged 75 and at her wits end. She has no connection whatsoever with the person and has never spoken with him. I have today spoken with the bailiffs and due to the Data Protection Act they will not speak to me. They have suggested my sister writes to the, We have done this before and it has been a complete waste of time! They do not respond. The lady I spoke with suggested I speak with the DVLA since the person must be registering his two vehicles at my sisters address and also possibly his driving license. I have just been cut off from the DVLA after waiting exactly one hour. My sister's other concern is that she feels threatened by this person. Supposedly a very undesirable person. We need to resolve this matter ASAP. Can you please help? Regards ***** *****
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I hope the information given so far is sufficient!!
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My sister lives in Wolverhampton West Midlands
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have had to give you my landline number since we get no signal where I live and cannot received messages!!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 11 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. I am very sorry to hear about your sisters situation. Can I confirm is she able to contact the bailiffs directly?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No she is not. She sent a letter last week when she received another letter from the bailiffs. When that is received they will no longer send correspondence relating to that particular debt. She has today received another letter relating to another debt.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 11 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. I am very sorry to hear about your situation and understand this to be very frustrating.

In regards ***** ***** sister feeling threatened by him she should contact the police with evidence and they will investigate the matter for your. You will be asked to provide them a statement and they will notify you if they arrest/charge the person. If the matter is brought to court the judge may award a restraining order against him preventing the person to contact you. A restraining order is made by the criminal court to prevent a person from contacting or pursuing a course of conduct with another person. The order is designed to protect the person named from crime against an individual and they can be made on conviction or acquittal of any criminal offence. Any person convicted or acquitted (found innocent or not proven) of a criminal offence can be made subject of a restraining order. You can find your local police here:

In regards ***** ***** bailiffs. I can understand this is a difficult situation to be in. If he is pretending to be someone he is not and giving a false adress you should also contact the police about this with evidence and they may investigate further. You can also contact the High Court Enforcement Officers' Association, email your complaint to *****@******.*** to explain the situation and they may look into this accordingly.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.