Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I’ve just received the outcome of a grievance I raised about

Customer Question

Hi there, I’ve just received the outcome of a grievance I raised about the way a person in HR has treated me before, during and after a return to work after a mental health breakdown. In the outcome 2 managers have confirmed I used a word (paranoia) during a particular meeting and confirmed the HR rep acted professionally during the meeting. They also backed her up saying a summary email she sent after was a good one. (my grievance includes the fact that this email wasn’t factually correct) Neither manager were present at this meeting, so they can’t confirm any of this or back up that her behaviour was professional. In the outcome it is clear that many of my concerns were not investigated and this was confirmed in my outcome meeting as I asked. My question is, do I have to take this to appeal? Is there anything else I can ask my employers to consider? Eg mediation? I’m still suffering anxiety and my original grievance has taken 3 months to conclude, I’d really rather not have to go through it again, but will have to if it’s the only wat forward now. Also, as I can prove neither manager can possibly say/confirm/back up the things they have said. Can I take that further? They have given me 5 days to appeal this. Thanks for your time. Deb
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’m in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I raised a grievance at work and they didn’t uphold it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I can’t think of anything at the moment, thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Please provide some more details of the actual grievance you raised? and how long have you worked for this employer please?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Please provide me with some more details of the actual grievance, and please also tell me how long you have worked for this employer

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Ben, I’ll send you my grievance letter just a sec
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Please provide some more details of the actual grievance, and please also tell me how long you have worked for this employer

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (35P536P)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I’ve worked for them for 21 years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about this situation and any associated issues.

If the outcome of a grievance is not to your satisfaction, then you would ordinarily have to appeal it in order to try and get a different decision. Whilst mediation is an option, that is not in any way mandatory and also does not form part of the official process. However, if the employer believes it to be feasible, they can of course agree to it and you have nothing to lose by asking them at the very least. However, if they state that mediation is not an option and that appeal is all you can do, you will have to go through it in order to challenge the original decision.

Apart from that, the only alternative is to resign and claim constructive dismissal or try to reach a financial settlement to leave quietly. However, assuming that you do not want to leave the company, the appeal is the only option that would be available.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.