Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

On Saturday I had a 30 minute free consultation with a

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: On Saturday I had a 30 minute free consultation with a careers coach, and today they sent me the first months invoice for a session am I obliged to pay ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manchester, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Asked you
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 22 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 22 days ago.

Did you agree to sign up to anything at any point? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok sure
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi Ben, I did not agree to signs any contracts or anything of that nature
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I did not sign any contracts*
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 22 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** you know why the coach may believe you are due to pay him for the session, if that was never discussed and it was just a free trial?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I said I will get back to her in the next day or two about a session.I was not told how much they would be before hand or or how long they would last for.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Please see attached
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 22 days ago.

Thank you. Have you questioned the invoice and whether it is something that is still optional or that you are committed to?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I have not reached out back to her Ben
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
But there is a due date for 23.11.2021
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 22 days ago.

Ok thanks. The letter states that the invoice is sent to ‘secure commitment’ to the programme. I think the best thing for you to do now is to reply and say ‘thanks very much for the invoice, but I have decided against going ahead with it and understand that by not paying the invoice I am not securing myself on to the programme, which is a risk I would have to accept at this stage’. Or something along those lines that basically says thanks for the request for payment to secure myself, but I am not interested.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 22 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi Ben, Thanks for the advice.The invoice was for a fixed fee.I legitimately would want to do the programme but the initial fee was large.Is it best to try and negotiate an hourly rate which would suite my needs better.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 22 days ago.

Hi there, thank you for your further queries, which I will be happy to answer. You can certainly do that. In the end, it is entirely up to the coach whether she is willing to negotiate and amend her standard terms. If she wants to retain your business, she may indeed be flexible and the only way to find out is to ask her

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 22 days ago.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.