How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1402
Type Your Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

My partner as in girlfriend not married, we have been

This answer was rated:

HiMy partner as in girlfriend not married, we have been renting an apartment for only 2.5 months, things are not working out and she wants me out.Our landlord lives abroad and has delayed in supplying the tenancy lead thus far, he is still promising to.Is she allowed to ask me to leave?The apartment has 4 bedrooms, my latent has two children 18 and 13, the spare room is for when my daughter from a different partner comes to day is she wants.The issue in me leaving is that I furnished the entire flat as my partner doesn’t have much money, I was also the one who acquired the agreement to rent it.My partner says if I leave she will pay me back month for my half of the deposit (£920) plus furnishings (£5,500). My partner owes money to other already and cannot afford to pay them back. With Christmas coming too its hard to see how she can pay me in a monthly structure. She also would not be able to afford the current monthly rent of £1,600. I have had to give her money many times as she scrapes by.She did offer to move out interestingly as says she found an apartment close by, I would of course give her her half of the deposit.I would want to take over the apartment instead.
Should I simply contact the landlord abroad and advise on what is happening also, or can she continue to very angrily demand that I move out?About a week ago she placed many of my belongings outside the front door, I have the picture she sent me on WhatsApp. She eventually brought them back in. Can she change the locks?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London (Streatham).
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, this Sunday gone I called the police on my partner, she was being pushy, whilst I was on the sofa slapping me on the shoulder & legs, also throwing a bottle at me, she would follow me up and down the stairs. The police arrived took notes from us both and left, nothing further. This was the second time I called the police for similar ongoings, the first time was about a month ago.

Hello, thank you for contacting JustAnswer. I will be assisting you with your question  I appreciate that it is important that you find the appropriate answer as soon as possible.
Please note that my support on this site is for general information only and there is no intention to create a legal relationship. I will do my best to answer your question in the best possible way, I would kindly ask that you give me a moment to review your question and I will revert to you as soon as possible.

Is the tenancy agreement in your name and your partner? Who is this woman?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The woman is my girlfriend, we are splitting up
The tenancy agreement has not been signed by either of us.
The landlord lives in Dubai, in the last 2.5 months he replies only sporadically, he has promised but yet to send over the lease agreement for us to sign.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Graciously awaiting your answer please...Kind regards

If your relationship has broken down then one of you will have to leave the property. Otherwise how can you both remain. You may suggest that once she has refunded what she owes you you will leave otherwise she may not pay you back.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** she pay me back and I leave all the furniture as I can’t do much with it and she’s the one asking me to leave.However, does she have the right to demand I leave?I found the property and was approved by the landlord after I supplied my bank statementsIt’s just that she’s everyday texting me abuse and being uncivil.So who gets to leave the person who has invested thousands furnishing or can I demand she leaves as barely contributed towards anything in the apartment?

There is no rule on this point. Anyone can ask the other to leave

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I see, so I don’t have to leave if I don’t want.She is seeking advice from a solicitor on Monday, is there anything I should anticipate?

Don't know how she can afford a solicitor or what more they can say. You don't have leave

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have not opened the 93 WhatsApp text messages I have pending on my phone from her, it’s usually ladened with abuse..That is good I don’t have to leave.In a previous text message she mentioned her work were offering to assist her, I believe this is either counselling or perhaps legal advice, I am assuming this is where the solicitor being mentioned comes in.She could afford an initial consultation with a solicitor, but not the follow up process from there at all.I have just thought, as none of us has yet signed the tenancy lease agreement, perhaps I could communicate with the landlord, explaining the situation and for him to put it in my name. If I successfully do that, how much notice would I need to give her to vacate, if any?

You are not the landlord you can't give notice to her neither can she give you notice. When relationships breakdown one party usually agrees to leave if they are renting.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
this is as I thought perhaps.I could however communicate with the landlord as no lease has been signed by either party and persuade him to put it in my name? He has been lax in sending the lease through. That’s what I was meaning, if that’s possibly an option.

If he agrees

frantzgregory and other Law Specialists are ready to help you