SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I’m a tenant and self employed I clean holiday cottages one

Customer Question

Hi there I’m a tenant and self employed I clean holiday cottages one Whitby and I take the laundry home to wash dry and iron is this legal
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No and o live in the uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: iv just been looking up on the internet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 10 days ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer.
I am a solicitor and I will be reviewing your question.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for your patience. I am not sure which part you are asking guidance on. The washing laundry offsite should be ok as long as the company that contracts your services does not prohibit laundry leaving the premises.

As a tenant it  is more likely than not that your tenancy agreement will prohibit conducting business in the premises without authority from the landlord. Also if your rent is inclusive of bills it would be fraudulent if you are paying fixed rental and yet you are consuming water and electricity to do work laundry for your self employment business, being paid for this and not accounting some of the profit to the landlord who takes a knock on the utilities bills. So on the tenancy element I would strongly suggest that you do not do it, it is not illegal but it is likely in breach of your tenancy agreement. If your tenancy does not prohibit you from working from home and you pay for metered bills then you should be ok.

Any folow up please do not hesitate to send your message. We are glad here at Just Answer to be of assistance. All the best.