How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 30009
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

My husband was in a Care Home and has now discharged

Customer Question

My husband was in a Care Home and has now discharged himself. He had a stroke in June which has left him not being able to use his left side. He has a stoma and I would like some help please to care for him.
JA: Where is he? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We live in Lurgashall near Midhurst
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: Nothing I have managed to look after him myself but it is too much.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I do not think so
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine how frustrating it must be. I will certainly try to clarify the position for you.

May I confirm if you have been in touch with social services to date please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

thank you. The local authority have a legal obligation to ensure that individuals living within their jurisdiction are safeguarded. Accordingly, if you were to contact social services and advise them of the current position and that you do not feel able to provide for your husbands care on your own without any support any longer, they have a legal obligation to put in place a care package that is suitable for your husband needs. There is an obligation to make a contribution towards these costs which is means assessed but the local authority will pay for any amounts subject to a means assessment.

this will allow carers to attend under the terms of the support package to support you in caring for your husband.

If your husband is not presently receiving it, he may wish to consider applying for attendance allowance which can help with additional costs you may incur in this respect.

Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.