SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I rent a house about a year ago, about one month ago my

Customer Question

I rent a house about a year ago, about one month ago my tenancy agreement finished, when became the time to get the deposit back my landlord refused to give it, her reason was that I did paint the house and the work isn't satisfied (completely false I never paint the house) once I did I her to provide me check-in and check-out report to see if that match she never replies to me. I would like to take further action because I don't want to let her do the same things to other people, and also I want to get my money back. Also, the deposit hasn't been protected, I did already contact the 3 deposit protection companies.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Try to communicate with the landlord, also, check if the deposit has been protected
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I rent a house about a year ago, about one month ago my tenancy agreement finished, when became the time to get the deposit back my landlord refused to give it, her reason was that I did paint the house and the work isn't satisfied (completely false I never paint the house) once I did I her to provide me check-in and check-out report to see if that match she never replies to me. I would like to take further action because I don't want to let her do the same things to other people, and also I want to get my money back. Also, the deposit hasn't been protected, I did already contact the 3 deposit protection companies.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello, how are you today?

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist you with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read your initial post.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 14 days ago.

Did you ask the landlord if your deposit was protected?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No, I just contact the 3 companies and they confirm that the deposit hasn't been protected by any of them
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's okay, I prefer the chat
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 14 days ago.

In that case you need to send your landlord a letter before action asking for the return of your deposit in no more than 14 days, and if after that period of time they do not respond, you will apply to court for the return of the deposit and a penalty of up to three times the amount. Make it clear that you will not write again after the initial 14 days, you will go straight to court.

Then if the landlord doesn't respond and doesn't repay your deposit, on the day after the 14th day you can apply to court for the court to deal with the matter.

You apply on court form N208, and the cost to apply is £308. You can find the form here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/958045/n208-eng.pdf

Notes to help you complete the form are here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/688484/n208a-eng.pdf

You can ask the court to award you the cost of having to go to court too, so will be able to reclaim the £308 fee if you win.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does it do matter that is already a month past since we finished the tenancy agreement? I'm asking because I heard there is a limited time for me to do something, and after that period time is all over..
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 14 days ago.

The deposit should be paid back after 10 days. It's not too late to claim it via the courts - you have up to six years.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Perfect thank you so much
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 14 days ago.

You're very welcome.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 14 days ago.

Thank you so much for using JA and allowing me to answer your query for you. If you have further questions about my responses above, please do feel free to ask them in this thread.

If you have questions on different topics, you can open a new thread and mark it for my attention by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading, or choosing me as your preferred expert from your membership page.

All the best!