RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I purchased a domain name (UK business) - how2money.co.uk -

Hi.. I purchased a domain name (UK business) - how2money.co.uk - and later on, I discovered that there is an Australian podcast / media business with the exact sounding name - "how to money" - and also another financial coaching business in Australia with a trademarked name "how to money"... My question is - can I still use mt website and name in the UK and if yes, should I trademark it? Is TM registration is only for a specific country or can be worldwide? Thank you. Natasha
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I searched through a Gove.uk trademark registry
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that's all
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I didn't ask South Africa ... not sure why this is written under my question

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok.. thank you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Did you read my question above?.. should I wait for the answer here?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can you explain what's happening please? I didn't get the answer for my question and I was forced to pay £5 for a subscription. I do not intend to pay another £44 for a phone call. This is force advertising. Should I wait for the answer or just cancel the membership?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
false

Thank you and apologies for the delay, as per my first message, this is to a live service, however today has ta***** *****er than usual to get back to you.... I will look at this now.

Thank you for the question the simple answer is yes, you can do both clearly you have purchased the name which means the domain is free, you can also trademark it in the Uk and look at doing this internationally too.  If the podcasts have not done this then they are basically slow to the mark.  The reality is that they may never infringe upon each other.   I would advise registering the trademark in asap.  When you register the trademark the ICO will inform. you if there are any potential objections however this does not prevent you from moving forward with the application.  In the event there is an objection to your application, it will be reviewed and you may still be able to register, if not, you could look at using the web address as a trading name as opposed to your company name.  It may be preferable to have a solicito review your position in full detail.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
thank you very much for a clear answer!