How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3765
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have been informed that a secondary school I use to attend

Customer Question

Hi there,I have been informed that a secondary school I use to attend is giving out misinformation to a parent about me what is not true.They are stating that i take part in illegal activities, yet I have not ever done this nor would I ever dream to do so.I have a clean record and have never been arrested for anything.I am wanting to know what I can do about this as it could effect my social profile and also I don’t want this misinformation getting to my work place as it could result in me losing my job.Kind Regards,
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Thank you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you I appreciate that a lot.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  This sounds like a serious breach by the school.   There are a few courses of acton.  Firstly, you may be able to take action for defamation.  In order to prove defamation of character there are two “barriers” which you must prove.  Firstly, you must show that there has been a publicised statement which is to your detriment.  You must be able to show that it is not true.  So just for an example, if you have been convicted of a crime, and maintain your innocence, and someone publicises this on social media you wouldn’t have a case as you have been found guilty by law.  You must be able to show that the statement is untrue.  Secondly you must be able to show that you have suffered or are likely to suffer a detriment due to the false information which has been shared about you. If you can do both things, then you will be successful in your case for defamation.  You should also make complaint about the school itself.  The first thing you require to do is raise an official complaint with them.  You will require to see this process through to exhaustion as well as any appeal procedures that may be in place or offered.  In addition to this, if you are not satisfied with the remedy achieved via these processes you can escalate your complaint to the government’s department for education who can act like an ombudsman and do an independent review into the matter.  If you have incurred any losses as a result or feel there has been a (legal) discrimination, you could look at additional legal action for these if you feel that route is necessary.  Finally, if they have distributed any personal intonation about you, you can report this as a data breach to the information commission office (ICO) under the General Data Protection Regulations.  You can also take legal action for this.  If all apply you can claim for all three simultaneously.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.