Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Hiya we was looking for some advice - we are a small wall

Customer Question

Hiya we was looking for some advice - we are a small wall coatings company based in Cambridgeshire. We have had a negative review written about us which isnt true and we can prove it isnt true. Trust a trader have refused to take the review down however, we didnt get the lead from trust trader so they technically had nothing to do with the whole thing. we want to know if there is anything we can do to get trust a trader to take the negative untrue review down. thanks very much
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: united kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we have been dealing with trust a trader and they have told us that they cant take down the review
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: thats it thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
yep of course
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Have you tried to contact the author directly? and when was the review posted?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
when you say the author do you mean the customer?The review hasn't been posted yet - they have said we have 23rd November to respond to the review and then it is being posted
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Yes the customer, my apologies for not being clear. Please leave it with me and I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you - we haven't spoken to the customer as we wasn't sure what was best so we have currently not said anything
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about this situation and any associated issues.

You will likely find it hard to make the site take the review down as they would not be in a position to check the legitimacy of the comments and verify exactly who is telling the truth and who is not. This is how review platforms work – they allow customers to post reviews, but then also give the retailer the chance to comment on it and put their side of the story.

Legally, you can only force the site not to post it if you were to take out a court injunction, which won’t necessarily be that easy to do.

Instead you may wish to approach the customer over this and earn them that what they are doing will amount to malicious falsehood or defamation and that you can potentially pursue them for damages caused by their comments.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.