12826847

Can a school expel a pupil for a possession of a grinder,

Customer Question

Can a school expel a pupil for a possession of a grinder
JA: Where is the pupil? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps has the pupil taken so far?
Customer: Pupil was placed in isolation
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The child has been having issues with his school for a year and a half due to behaviour issues only for the school and myself to realise the child is possibly autistic
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Great thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

They can obviously. It depends on the circumstances, the school consistitution and his record hitherto.

Obviously it implies consumption of drugs, which may well be prohibited.

Can you tell me the circumstances?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The child is 14 years of age preparing for his GCSEs. He smelled of cannabis. School done a search of his possessions and found a used grinder along with a lighter on him but no drugs. The child confessed to smoking weed out of school. School asked him why he had been smoking cannibis the child replied due to all the stress over the year with school.  Only 3 weeks ago the school contacted SENCO as the pin dropped that the child may possibly be autistic. Due to the child's autistic body movements and some other autistic behaviour the school assumed that he was a problem child and kept dishing out isolations and detentions over the past year and a half. Prior to this the child never had any behaviour issues and was loved by all. The child has been very stressed due to being misunderstood over the year  which has also resulted in a bold patch at the back of his head bigger then a 50p piece. Once the school realised that the child may possibly be autistic (2 weeks ago) The school had been very helpful and were working closely with the child and were contacting the relavant parties to have a diagnosis as quick as possible. The school offered the child to go home after the incident or he could stay at school in isolation until they made a decision. Later that evening school called to say they are still looking into all available alternatives for the child as the last thing they want to do is a permanent expulsion. In meanwhile school has offered the child to go to school in isolation or to stay at him due to all the stress over the year.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Ok, if he confessed then yes, they could.

This is an explusion mattter. Obviously they may not expel but they could.

I am sorry.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

Good to talk to you.

No problem.

All the best.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.