SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Duty of judges to provide written reasons in criminal cases,

Customer Question

duty of judges to provide written reasons in criminal cases
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: jamaica
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: research, need case law authorities
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: application to adduce 'fresh evidence' dismissed without written reasons
Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.co.uk.
It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about Jamaica, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is maybe to provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.
At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obliged to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.
Please let me know how you’d like to proceed,
Oleksandra-Moderator
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for your patience so far.

I am a lawyer and It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position

Please note that although I can guide you just answer does not provide legal representation and as such no solicitor/client relationship is formed

I may not respond immediately as I am in court. I will review the document once done. Rest assured I will do it today

Your question has been classed under Canada Law, where are you and what country does not question relate to?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i stated previously that the jurisdiction is JAMAICA.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I DO NOT WISH TO CALL. I simply wish to have an opinion on the question posed and a list of authorities in support of your opinion
Hi you may have stated this to the moderators but not to me, sorry for asking you to clarify. There is no legal requirement to give written reasons. The principle that should guide you is here: https://www.courtofappeal.gov.jm/sites/default/files/judgments/Strachan%20%28Leymon%29%20v.%20The%20Gleaner%20Company%20Ltd.%20and%20Stokes%20%28Dudley%29.pdf
Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message, we are always happy to assist. All the best.