How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5921
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I have been caught on cctv shoplifting and the shop has my

Customer Question

I have been caught on cctv shoplifting and the shop has my car registration number
JA: What was the items' value? Was this a first-time offense?
Customer: I think around £100 to £200, I not really sure.
JA: Is the business pressing charges? Is there a court date?
Customer: I think so
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am suffering from mental health issues
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

How may I assist? Have the police been called?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I am suffering from Mental Heath issues and have recently been having episodes of odd behaviour. I am not a bad person, I am trying to care for my Mum who has suffered a stroke and my daughter recently lost her baby. Several months ago I went into a shop and put a lot of baby items into a bag, I was going to take them but left. Then the past few weeks I have been into my local garden centre and stolen items on 2 occasions. Yesterday I went in there to buy a plant and was told by the staff there that I am on cctv stealing and that the details are passed to the police. I was then followed and they took my car registration number. I am terrified I am going to prison.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I can’t afford the phone call
Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

Sorry call offers are auto generated from the site, not from me. I am currently unavailable for calls, but more than happy to continue here.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I am in a terrible state. My doctor has given me some emergency medication but I don’t know what to do
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I just don’t know what to do
Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

If they have you on cctv stealing from the store and have also taken your car details, then it is very likely you will receive a visit from the police in relation to the theft.

It is possible the police will arrest you and interview you regarding the matter. If they do, and if it is your first time, then admit the theft. The police are then likely to give you a formal police caution rather than charge you to court.

It may be possible that they will ask you to attend the police station voluntarily if they do, again go along. You will be allowed a solicitor for free.

Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

When a person needs to be interviewed by police in relation to a criminal allegation, they can either be arrested and taken to a custody centre, or the police can invite them into a police station for a voluntary interview.

When a person attends an interview at a police station as a voluntary attender, they are there voluntarily and are free to leave at any time.

Anyone interviewed by police either under arrest or as a voluntary attender, no matter how serious or trivial the allegation, can have and use the services of the duty solicitor. That service is completely free. You can request the duty solicitor, and should inform the police officer who will carry our the interview of your request before you attend, so as to avoid any undue delays at the station.

When you and the solicitor arrive at the police station for the interview, the solicitor will speak with the officer carrying out the investigation, and obtain what is called advance disclosure. That means they will ask the police for details of the allegation and what evidence they have.

Next, the solicitor will speak privately with you and explain what they have been told and then obtain your instructions. The solicitor will then advice you on whether to answer questions in interview, or to submit a pre written statement or whether to go no comment.

Once the interview is over, the officer would normally say that the matter would still need to be investigated further and then a reviewing officer would check through everything. A file could then be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service if the police think there is evidence for a case. The CPS would then make a decision on whether to prosecute or not.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
How long do you think it will be before the police come to arrest me
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Because I stole from there twice I am scared I will go to prison
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Also I am considering just handing myself in to the police. I am frightened for my state of mind whilst I am waiting
Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

I cannot say. The store would need to give the police the evidence and they would need to come to you. As I stated above they may ask you to come in as a voluntary attender and not arrest you. If they are given details of repeated thefts then it is more likely you mould be charged to court. As a repeating shoplifter.

You will not go to prison for this, at least not on this occasion. You would most likely be given a fine or a community order


Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

You can indeed go to the local police station and report yourself, you would actually gain credit for that .

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
But 12 years ago I was fined for a minor theft in a department store. I was given what I think was called a pcm and a caution
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

That was a long time ago and would not really count now.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you. Do you think I should hand myself in to the police
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I am so afraid that they will turn up when I am out and tell
My neighbours or family what has happened
Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

Only you can decide that, as above, you would gain credit and be dealt with more sympathetically

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Do you think I would if I do that
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I just wouldn’t know which police station to go to
Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

You would go to your local one. They can see if a report has been made and then let the officer dealing know you have come in.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for your advice
Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

Your very welcome

Take care.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.