How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6021
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I am going through court at the moment on a historical

Customer Question

I am going through court at the moment on a historical sexual assault by a priest as he is old and can’t make court its a judge only case and will not be found guilty or not guilty but can be put on sexual offenders list. witnesses are in the double figures.can i sue the church in a civil case.
JA: The Lawyer can help you determine if you have a case. Where are you located? These laws vary by location.
Customer: i am in Australia but i am giving testimony on video link today. The priest is in liverpool the case is being held in Edinburgh sheriff court as the primary school was in Edinburgh
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: yes his victims are in the double figures.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 17 days ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 17 days ago.
I am a solicitor and I will be reviewing your question.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 17 days ago.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thank you
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for your patience, I'm sorry this happened.  If you have strong evidence of what happened then Yes you can take the matter to civil action against the church, despite what the criminal court finds on the Priest. I suggest you engage a solicitor / barrister as  it is not easy to value your claim.

Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 17 days ago.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message and I will be more than happy to assist you further. All the best.