MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

My Mother has come to live with me, due to her dementia and

Customer Question

My Mother has come to live with me, due to her dementia and the fact that she is 86. I am lasting power of Attorney for both health & welfare and finance. My brother's have said that I should take some money from Mum for her upkeep. What would be a fair amount from a legal point of view. Thanks
JA: Where is she? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: She is living with me in Delph, Oldham. Lancashire
JA: What steps has she taken so far?
Customer: Steps to what?
JA: The Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My Mother is reliant on me 24/7 as well as Dementia she can hardly see and is quite deaf. I manage all her finances along with 1 brother who is power of Attorney jointly with me.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 17 days ago.

Hi, I am happy to help you with your enquiry today.

There is no specific amount set by the law that must be shared by children in caring for their elderly parent.
Although you might not be legally responsible for the welfare of your elderly parent, you may undoubtedly feel that it is a moral obligation to do so. Thus, it is advisable to split the cost among all the living and able children. If the personal finances and other circumstances prevent a family member from contributing to the expenses, it is best resolved internally by the family.

If you are asking the specific costs for caring for the elderly, it is best to contact organizations that specialize in the field. I advise you to contact these notable organizations:

• Alzheimer’s Society: Charity providing information and support services for people with dementia as well as those caring for someone with dementia (0300(###) ###-####

• Age UK: (0800(###) ###-####

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My Mother has plenty of money, that's why my brother's think that she should be contributing to her upkeep, she would have to pay for her upkeep in a home.

If your mother has money for upkeep, then it is also possible to make an arrangement for her own care. Again, I cannot give you a specific amount as that is outside my expertise. Thus, it is best to contact the organisations I mentioned earlier if you want an idea of how much a usual care package may cost.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need anything further.