Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I need to know firstly, how much does my question cost

Customer Question

I need to know firstly, how much does my question cost please?
JA: The answer cost depends on the issue and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit. Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Hove, Sussex.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted both insurance Companies, who appear not to be able to agree whether my problems are Buildings Insurance, or my Home Insurance. Therefore neither is willing to help me.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Please - not before I know the cost! I'm living on a state pension, with a costly time of the yearly coming up and I simply can't afford any more bills!
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

May I confirm the nature of the claim please? i.e. what it is that you have made a claim for?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sorry, I wrote it out fully in my first statement. a) to secure glass doors in a built-in wardrobe so that they no longer fall out, perhaps injuring me next time (Buildings Insurance), b) replacement of two wall sockets that have ceased to operate (again integral to the building, therefore Building Insurance), c) I lost £20 of frozen food from one defunct socket, (associated with Buildings Insurance).
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have now seen that your total cost will be £44, which I can't afford, as I explained before. Please cancel my request and return my £5 initial cost, as it is shown as being refundable. Please advise me when the £5 has been refunded to my card. I will now have to go to the local Citizens' Advice Bureau.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have just replied to you!! Please see the thread we are both following.
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

Thank you. The £44 cost you refer to I believe relates to an optional phone call which you have not requested and therefore have not been charged. There is no further charge to continue here in chat. Please kindly confirm if you would like to continue on this basis?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I would like to proceed, as long as it costs me no more than the original £5!!
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

I do not have access to your account to confirm the amount you have been charged but you are certainly not charged for a phone call (eg. £44) unless you specifically request one. If you have any billing enquiries at a later date, you are welcome to contact customer services who will be more than happy to assist you with the same.

In terms of the claims you are seeking to make, both the issue in relation to the door and the sockets on the face of it appear to be the result of wear and tear. Of course, it is quite possible that other events caused their respective malfunction which you have not mentioned but if this is a question of items failing due to the passage of time, without a specific accident occurring, this is likely to be wear and tear and wear and tear claims are generally excluded from insurance policies. the reason wear and tear is excluded from policies is because otherwise insurance policies would be responsible for paying to replace everything you own as they gradually got older which plainly would make insurance unsustainable at least to anything like the sort cost that insurance companies charge.

Accordingly, in this you can point to a specific accident which was not your fault it is unlikely would be able to make a claim for either of these issues and would instead need to consider paying for repairs yourself. If the damage was the result of an accident caused by you, some policies do include an accidental damage cover which may cover the issue.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Typical.
Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance though I am sorry it is disappointing to read but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 7 days ago.

I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Expert:  Joshua replied 6 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.