Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have had money taken from my bank from a holiday company

I have had money taken from my bank from a holiday company and another payment has tried to have been taken also (but hasnt due to no funds in my bank after the first) . I have informed my bank and they have frozen my cards I have also messaged the Holiday company to ask why the money has been removed without my authorisation and it’s not a booking that I can recall making they have told me that I have to pay it all where do I stand with this please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i live in the uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have rung my bank and they have frozen my card and as i say emailed the company they have basically said you need to pay it, i said i don’t remember making any reservations to visit a city (new york) im not even visiting, however the only booking i should have is florida for next year so i suspect i have had a password ***** and somebody has been messing about in my account
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that i am aware of other then they said we have passed it to our legal team and they will be intouch

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What do you specifically want to know about this? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I wish to know if it is something that I have to pay I don’t see why I should pay for something especially with it being £660 and then a further £660 as two reservations were made apparently that I just don’t recall making and I know I haven’t made so where do I stand with this as they are saying I have to I don’t even have that money and as I’ve said I’m not even visiting New York! :(

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about this situation and any associated issues.

If this is not a booking that you actually made, then you would not be liable for it. It would be different if you had made it in error, or if you were confused for some reason and made the wrong booking, in which case you will still be liable. However if you certainly did not make it and it appears to be something that someone else has made, or an error by the company, then you would not have to pay.

Because this looks like an unauthorised use of your account, it is best dealt with by your bank, who can pas this on to their fraud department and hopefully get you the money back and prevent further charges being made.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How do i prove that I didn’t make it though if its down to proving that to get my money/monies back- that’s my concern? My name etc has been used :(
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
obviously my bank details and email :(

Well you can’t necessarily do so, for now that would be for your bank to work out when they decide how to handle it

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok so hypothetically speaking, what on earth do I do if they take the side of the hotel company? I don’t have the money for it and i dont know why i would book something that i knew i wasn’t obviously going to go to especially when its over £1000?!

You can take your case to the Financial Ombudsman to start with, they can issue a binding decision on this and require the bank to reimburse you. After that it is a case of pursuing the company directly to try and recover the money

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.