RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

We are a company, we feel the council officers are

Customer Question

We are a company, we feel the council officers are discriminating against us through retaliation for trying to defend our rights
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have lodged a formal complaint on the council officers
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The two officers have issued penalties that are baseless and unjustified, They have told us that if we do not pay the penalties they will withdraw our license
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Thank you.  Unfortunately in law, discrimination can only occur when a person is being treated at a detriment due to a protected characteristic such as race, gender, sexual orientation etc. as you have stated the reason is defending your rights, this would not fall under legal discrimination.   If you are being penalised for enforcing your legal statutory rights then this would be actionable.  However you would require to prove it.  I would advise paying gate penalties "under duress" and make this clear, that way you will not lose your licences, then at that point, as you have made it clear you have done this under duress, you can have your legal position reviewed for intimating a claim.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your reply.With regards ***** ***** penalties that have been raised are first out of place and secondly discriminatory in the sense that our neighbour who happens to be from a white background has not been issued with any penalties despite being in breach of scheme these two individuals have devised. We have him on record that he has not received any such penalty, letter, email or even verbal communication regarding his breaches. However, we have been given 9 penalties, equating to a total of £9000. When we asked our neighbour regarding the time he was actually in breach and how the two officers are treating him, he replied that they have been very reasonable with him and that he felt lucky. We happen to be from an Asian background, and the neighbour on our other side also happens to be Asian who has also received penalties from the two officers.Would this not constitute racial discrimination? There was nothing different in what we have been doing in comparison to our neighbouring white tenant, yet we have been countless times treated differently. There are many such examples that we have documented.We have just recently filed a formal complaint to the line manager of the two individuals as well.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

If you feel there is a legal discrimination due to race (as suggested) again pay the fees under duress then puruse action you can claim this  money back if you are successful.