How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8552
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

There is a court case going on with my family about

Customer Question

There is a court case going on with my family about settlements with a divorce, there is a statement in my name and I was supposed to stand up in court in December. Due to recent circumstances of being made homeless due to my mum and the way she has treated me, I would like to put a statement through of the lies she has used in court and to address all of the current changes that would effect court. She refuses to give me any contact details and it taking me out of the court case without my say
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sudbury, Suffolk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing because I don’t know what to do or who to contact
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t believe so
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

Good evening.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Please bear in mind though that this is an email service and not live chat and therefore I may not respond immediately.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is any additional information I can give you to help with the solution, I’ll try my best to answer it
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

Can you clarify - are you being called as a witness in your parent's divorce?

What court is the case being heard in?

Do you have a copy of the statement that was submitted in your name?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’m being told that the statement that was sent in in my name was in a different case regarding custody of my younger brother. The case I have information on is about the settlement and finances which I’m being refused the name of the court or any details
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

Thank you - are you in contact with the other party/ parent?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can try, but currently not
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

OK, I now fully understand.

I think in reality, if you do want to have input into the proceedings, then you have to track down the other party.

If you had the information about which court this was being heard in, or the case number ***** example, you could try to contact the court.

Without this information, its too vague to make contact and expect that to result in anything helpful.

Your only route in seems to me to be to make contact with the other party and make clear your position.

In the grand scheme of things, it may make a lot of difference to the outcome of the proceedings, or in fact very little - its actually impossible to say without the full details of the case and full disclosure, which I know is not something you can give here, nor is it appropriate to do so.

I do hope that this has assisted though?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can I ask the question of would the intentions of the money she wants awarded effect the outcome of what is rewarded?
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

Yes absolutely. If she is claiming financial needs for herself and a child, and the child is not living with her, the this is a relevant factor. Plus if she maintains that the child is living with her and this is a lie, then this is a contempt of court issue which can be punishable by a fine or at worst imprisonment.

I trust that clarifies the position?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The claims are due to needing a house with a certain amount of bedrooms because of the size of the family, I am 18 so can legally be kicked out, but I’m still used as living there so needing that extra bedroom at the house. But the uses for the money are not to buy a house for the family but to start a business and buy new cars
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

Thank you. In that case you have to decide if your evidence is materially important or not. If you feel it is, then contact the other party and make your position known.

I think that's the best advice I can give on the basis of the information I have.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for the help
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

My pleasure. take care.